Subject: Re: Beware about CD ROM Data Longevity - Was Re: Saving 100GB of data

From: aprc at pcmail.nerc-bas.ac.uk (A P R Cooper)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 16:19:47

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950813123611.7702F-100000 at alexis> Jeff Bloch <jbloch at alexis> writes:
>Subject: Beware about CD ROM Data Longevity - Was Re: Saving 100GB of data
>From: Jeff Bloch <jbloch at alexis>
>Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 12:46:03 -0600

>We store 650MB of satellite data on a CD ROM every 5 days using a setup from
>Young Minds on a Sparcstation. We have over 100 CD volumes in the archive.
>All has been well for the last two years until Sun started shipping new 4x CD
>ROM readers from Toshiba with new workstations. Suddenly, 50% of our archive
>is unreadable by the new drives. Old drives (mostly Sony) continue to read
>the archive just fine. This has nothing to do with the ISSO standards. Young
>Minds has not quite fessed up to the problem yet, but there may be a hardware
>problem with the particular model of the Phillips writer that we have. 

Surely we're not talking about CD but CD-R here? They are different 
technologies, even though they are compatible.

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Jeffrey Bloch                                   Office:     (505) 665-2568
>Astrophysics and Radiation Measurements Group   ALEXIS Soc: (505) 665-5975
>Los Alamos National Laboratory                  FAX:        (505) 665-4414
>Group NIS-2, Mail Stop D436                     e-mail:     jbloch at lanl.gov
>Los Alamos, NM 87545
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Paul R. Cooper
British Antarctic Survey
aprc at pcmail.nerc-bas.ac.uk

*****          Any opinions given here are my own,          *****
***** and not necessarily those of British Antarctic Survey *****

---

From: daveb at perth.DIALix.oz.au (David Brooks)
Date: 16 Aug 1995 08:32:48 +0800

>***** and not necessarily those of British Antarctic Survey *****

I have encountered this problem also. A friend recently loaned me an 
archive on a Kodak CD-R. I found I could read it on my old 486 (2x 
drive), but not on the Pentium (4x drive).
The old drive is a Panasonic CR-562-B, the newer one came with a Sound 
Balster Discovery kit.

-- 
David R. Brooks <daveb at perth.DIALix.oz.au>    Tel/fax. +61 9 434 4280
PGP public key via finger or keyservers
Public key fingerprint:  20 8F 95 22 96 D6 1C 0B  3D 4D C3 D4 50 A1 C4 34