Subject: looking for fits viewer

From: gt7602b at prism.gatech.edu (Mark Edward Schill)
Date: 9 Aug 1995 21:28:33 -0400

I am looking for a program that will allow me to view fits images.
I would like a program that would allow me to view the image and the
header silmutaneously. I would also like to have the option of saving the
image in either gif or jpg format so that the images can be readily
displayed. A program that would allow me to convert or create fits images
with interactive prompts or a template to facilitate the header
information would be ideal. I would like a program that will run on
Solaris Openwindows, but either Ibm or Macintosh programs will be gladly
accepted.

I appreciate any help that is given.
	
-- 
| Mark E. Schill                       |" Imagination is more        |
| Email: gt7602b at prism.gatech.edu      |  important than knowledge   |
|                                      |_______________-  A.Einstein |
| WWW: http://kelvin.physics.gatech.edu/sps/mschill   |______________|

---

From: szkilpat at rocky.ucdavis.edu (Glen Kilpatrick)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 17:25:09 GMT

Mark Edward Schill (gt7602b at prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
: 	I am looking for a program that will allow me to view fits images.
: I would like a program that would allow me to view the image and the
: header silmutaneously. I would also like to have the option of saving the
: image in either gif or jpg format so that the images can be readily
: displayed. A program that would allow me to convert or create fits images
: with interactive prompts or a template to facilitate the header
: information would be ideal. I would like a program that will run on
: Solaris Openwindows, but either Ibm or Macintosh programs will be gladly
: accepted.
: I appreciate any help that is given.

Try ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/ for a
WINdoze program.  It doesn't do everything you want (but then -what-
does everything -I- want? :), but it's a start.  Be warned that, while
I have no problems using the program, I sweated plenty when the
installation program -disabled- WIN 3.1 for me.  I suspect the problem
was a matter of too many program groups, but -whatever-, the solution
to re-enabling Windows was to find progman.ini, delete it, and rename
progman.bak (.bac?) to the former progman.ini, and then WIN worked.
The second attempt at installation (with fewer program groups :)
worked fine, and I'm now a Happy Camper.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ___                         | [A-Z] is for { Amendment Black Clipper
  /   \                        | Decryption Encryption Factor Gore Hacker
 |   ____                      | ITAR Judicial Kafkaesque Lincoln Munitions
  \___/  | /   Glen Kilpatrick | Numerical Ossifrage Privacy Q-Clearance RSA
         | \   <gkilpatrick at    | Squeamish Trustworthy Untrustworthy Vigenere
         |  \  ucdavis.edu>    | White XOR Yankee Zimmermann }, {:-(....
PGP Fingerprint Real Soon Now! ---------------------------------------