Subject: Email exploder 'fitsbits' now uses Majordomo

From: Don Wells <dwells at nrao.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:34:56 -0500 (EST)

Dear fitsbits subscribers, (and readers of sci.astro.fits)

The Email exploder 'fitsbits at nrao.edu', which has a bi-directional
gateway to newsgroup sci.astro.fits, is now using the Majordomo
mailing list software, executing on host majordomo.cv.nrao.edu (an
alias for tarsier.cv.nrao.edu, also known as linux.nrao.edu).

This change has been made in order to control the flow of improper
traffic from newsgroup sci.astro.fits into fitsbits. For example, a
message was posted to sci.astro.fits on 7-Mar by f1juno at kielo.uta.fi
(Juhani Norri) with the subject "Donors Wanted". The change to
Majordomo for fitsbits was already partially effective last week, and
this inappropriate message was forwarded to me for approval. I did not
approve, and so the readers of fitsbits were not bothered by this
"spam" traffic.

Currently all postings to fitsbits, either from its subscribers or
from sci.astro.fits, will be passed to me for approval; we expect to
enable automatic posting by subscribers soon. 

Subscribers to fitsbits should continue to send their postings to
'fitsbits at nrao.edu' or to 'fitsbits at fits.cv.nrao.edu'. 

Requests to subscribe or unsubscribe should be sent to
majordomo at majordomo.cv.nrao.edu (or to the old address
fitsbits-request at nrao.edu), with a line in the body of the message
containing the command, such as

    unsubscribe fitsbits

Such requests will be forwarded to me for approval.

I append the help message from Majordomo. Note that the command set
for Majordomo is similar (but not identical) to that for
LISTSERV. Fitsbits (sci.astro.fits) traffic is being archived in files
maintained by Majordomo, and can be retrieved via Email using the
commands documented below. We expect to resume archiving on host
fits.cv.nrao.edu soon.

I am grateful to Jeff Uphoff for implementing this new technology for
fitsbits. 

-Don

  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA

>>>> help
This is Brent Chapman's "Majordomo" mailing list manager, version 1.93. 

In the description below items contained in []'s are optional. When
providing the item, do not include the []'s around it.

It understands the following commands:

    subscribe <list> [<address>]
	Subscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) to the named <list>.

    unsubscribe <list> [<address>]
	Unsubscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) from the named <list>.

    get <list> <filename>
        Get a file related to <list>.

    index <list>
        Return an index of files you can "get" for <list>.

    which [<address>]
	Find out which lists you (or <address> if specified) are on.

    who <list>
	Find out who is on the named <list>.

    info <list>
	Retrieve the general introductory information for the named <list>.

    lists
	Show the lists served by this Majordomo server.

    help
	Retrieve this message.

    end
	Stop processing commands (useful if your mailer adds a signature).

Commands should be sent in the body of an email message to
"Majordomo at linux.nrao.edu".

Commands in the "Subject:" line NOT processed.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact
"Majordomo-Owner at linux.nrao.edu".