Subject: SAOimage 1.21 FITS and IRAF image display released

From: Doug Mink <dmink at cfa.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:54:23 -0500

SAOimage 1.21, which displays FITS and IRAF .imh images in
the X11 window environment, has just been released.  The major
changes since version 1.20 include adding the ability to read
.imh files written by IRAF 2.11 as well as FITS files and .imh
files written by earlier versions of IRAF.  It should be capable
of reading .imh files independent of the architecture of the
machines on which the images were written or are being displayed.
A bug which kept Digitized Sky Survey WCS coordinates from being
precessed from J2000 to B1950 has also been fixed.  Problems using
the most recent versions as IRAF imtools have been fixed as well.

DATE-OBS is now accepted in the new FITS standard ccyy-mm-dd as
well as the old dd/mm/yy format, although this is only used
to compute the epoch used in converting between J2000 and B1950
coordinates.

Online documentation can be found at

http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/saoimage.html

and source code and binary executables for Solaris, SunOS, and
Digital Unix can be found at

ftp://cfa-ftp.harvard.edu/pub/gsc/SAOimage/

-Doug Mink
 Telescope Data Center
 Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
 Cambridge, Massachusetts USA