Subject: Comments on FITS Standard 1.2

From: Patrick Wallace <ptw at star.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:41:33 +0100 (BST)

Kevid Reardon wrote:

> "Use of GPS time (19  s behind TAI) is deprecated"
> ...why is it deprecated? For many amateurs or smaller observatories
> this may be the easiest way to get an precise time measurement.

I think the deprecation refers to use of the timescale, not the method
of getting the time.

Patrick Wallace
____________________________________________________________________________
Starlink Project Manager                        Internet:  ptw at star.rl.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory                       Tel:    +44-1235-445372
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK                   Fax:    +44-1235-446667
____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: arots at xebec.harvard.edu (Arnold Rots)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:18:35 -0400 (EDT)

> I think the deprecation refers to use of the timescale, not the method

That is correct.  Most GPS applications and devices, I believe, will
convert the GPS time automatically to UTC, but internally the GPS
maintains its own time scale, different from everybody else's %-)

  - Arnold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arnold H. Rots                                         AXAF Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                tel:  +1 617 496 7701
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu
USA                                     http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------