Subject: Viewing fits files

From: Gordon <dgb at doplar.wa.astro.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:54:55 +0800

I am putting togther an photography project for my astronomical
society.  I got hold of some graphic inages of objects of interest from
the Digitial Sky Survey site but I cannot not find a viewer.  I would
like to view the fits images believing them to be more detailed than the
images in the gif format.  Is there anywhere on the net I get get a
simple fits viewer.    

Any advice would be appreciated.
Gordon

---

From: Bill Cotton <bcotton at nrao.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:50:09 -0400 (EDT)

> images in the gif format.  Is there anywhere on the net I get get a

   You don't say what operating system you're using but the FITSview
family of viewers (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~bcotton/fitsview.html)
covers Windows, WIndows95/NT, Macintosh and Unix/X-Windows.

-Bill Cotton

---

From: Doug Mink <dmink at cfa.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:32:01 -0400

Gordon,
Check out http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/astro.image.html
I have a list of sources of FITS data on the Web and
programs which can read FITS.
-Doug Mink