Subject: FITSview family update

From: Bill Cotton <bcotton at nrao.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:29:49 -0400 (EDT)

Update of FITSview Family (Windows, XWindows, Macintosh)
                             April 14, 1998

   Updates of the FITSview family of FITS image viewers are now
available for FITS format astronomical images.  These viewers feature
manipulation of the display (brightness, contrast, pseudo color), zoom
and scroll, blinking images for comparison, displaying 3-D images as a
"movie", and determining the celestial position and brightness of
features in the image.  Celestial positions are determined for WCS,
DSS and IRAF CD-matrix positions.  All defined FITS data types are
supported (8, 16, 32 bit integers and 32 and 64 bit IEEE), as are
blanked pixels.  Two and three dimensional simple FITS images are
supported.  In addition, gzip compressed files may be read directly.
Extensive online documentation is included.

This release features 1) more intelligent guesses of the
range of pixel values to display for high dynamic range images, 
2) a histogram equalization option and 3) support for IRAF
CD-matrix positions.

FITSview family members
-----------------------

FITSview version 2.0 (MS Windows 95/NT)
First native Windows 95/NT release.  
Additional new Features:
- Toolbar
- Revised online help
- Improved installation procedure
- Now uses 128 colors (was 64)

FITSview version 2.0 (MS Windows 3.1)
Additional new Feature:
- Now uses 128 colors (was 64)

XFITSview version 1.2 
XFITSview runs on Unix/X-Windows systems and requires the use of
Motif.  This version is distributed as source with binaries for
selected systems. 
Additional new features:
- Improved on line help
- Now uses 128 colors (was 64)

MacFITSview version 1.4 (Apple Macintosh 68k and PPC)

Availability
-----------

   All of these are available at no cost via anonymous ftp server
fits.cv.nrao.edu:

 FITSview for Windows:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview
    These are distributed as self extracting installation kits, see
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/fitsv20.txt
    for installation details.
  for Windows 95/NT:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/FV32v20.exe
  for Windows 3.x:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/FV16v20.exe

 MacFITSview:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/mac-os/macfitsview
    These are distributed as BinHex encoded executables.
    Online documentation and test FITS files are  also available.
  for Power PC models:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/mac-os/macfitsview/MacFITSview.PPC.hqx
  for 68K models:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/mac-os/macfitsview/MacFITSview.68k.hqx

 XFITSview:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/unix/xfitsview/
    The source is distributed in a gzipped tar archive:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/unix/xfitsview/XFITSview1.2.tar.gz
    Selected binary executables are available, see the readme file for
    details. 

Bill Cotton