Subject: EXTNAME Keyword in Primary HDU

From: giglio at hades.gsfc.nasa.gov (Louis Giglio)
Date: 13 Jul 1998 20:49:42 GMT

The subject pretty much sums up my question.  Is it acceptable to have
the EXTNAME keyword -- which is explicitly defined for extension HDU's --
in the primary HDU of a FITS file.  Everything I've read seems to allow
this without actually explicitly stating that it's legal.

Thanks,
Louis

---

From: arots at xebec.harvard.edu (Arnold Rots)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:24:33 -0400 (EDT)

Just to be on the safe side, the ASC adopted a convention to use the
keyword HDUNAME: identical to EXTNAME in extensions, and playing the
same role in primary HDUs.

  - Arnold Rots

> this without actually explicitly stating that it's legal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arnold H. Rots                                         AXAF Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                tel:  +1 617 496 7701
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu
USA                                     http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------