Subject: fitsbits<==>sci.astro.fits gateway down

From: Don Wells <dwells at nrao.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:36:09 -0400 (EDT)

Dear fitsbits subscribers,

The NRAO-Charlottesville Usesnet news server died one week ago.  It
was a CPU hardware failure which could not be repaired. The CPU has
been stripped of parts and the motherboard has been discarded. The
information on the disks survived. The computing staff of
NRAO-Charlottesville are in the process of restoring news service with
a new CPU. The current estimate is that the news server may be
restored in about 12 hours if all goes well.  Until then,
NRAO-Charlottesville cannot gate news traffic from anywhere to
anywhere; in particular, sci.astro.fits traffic is not being gated to
the fitsbits exploder. When service is restored, it is likely that
some news messages will have been lost due to the news feed being down
for so long. If so, the sci.astro.fits/fitsbits traffic archive which
I maintain may be incomplete. I expect to try to recover such traffic.

Regards,
Don Wells [owner and moderator of the fitsbits Email exploder]
-- 
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
		    http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA