Subject: JavaFitsio ?

From: bob at ipac.caltech.edu
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:16:10 -0800

Is there a Java package available (or in work) for reading/writing
FITS files similar to CFITSIO ?  --  Thanks

---

From: Tom McGlynn <tam at silk.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:57:25 -0500

I've written a set of Java FITS classes which read and write
all FITS types except ASCII tables.  They are available
at http://members.home.net/mcglynn/java/.  Images and binary tables
(including variable length records) can be read and written.

The two files doc.zip and fits.zip contain the source the nom.tam.fits
and nom.tam.util packages.  The individual files are also visible
in the appropriate subdirectories.

Javadoc documentation is available.  A good starting point is
   http://members.home.net/mcglynn/java/doc/tree.html

These are only modestly tested but have successfully read a fair
number of files formats.

E.g., to read a primary array one might do something like:
...
  Fits myFits = new Fits(filename);
  BasicHDU[] HDUs = myFits.read();
  
  int[][] data = (int[][]) HDUs[0].getData().getData();
...

	Tom McGlynn
	tam at silk.gsfc.nasa.gov