Subject: approval status

From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at valen.cv.nrao.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:28:58 -0500 (EST)

My e-mails made it clear (I thought) that these are draft proposals.
They have not been approved by anyone other than their authors.  Of
course, they have been around in some form or other for a long time
and already reflect a great deal of discussion and compromise.  Both
authors are, in fact, unhappy about bits of them but we are eager to
get some sort of agreement, so long as it is workable and correct.

The authors do not expect for the appendices to be part of the adopted
standard, although one or more of them could be.  Certainly, we expect
the pixel regularization to be included if possible in an adopted
standard, but we do not expect that the added nomenclature for tables
and the specific units suggestions to be official standards.  Instead,
they may well end up in the same category as the "heap" used with
binary tables, namely an understood but informal convention.  I
adopted most of the units suggestions of OGIP since theirs is the only
set actually documented and in wide use.  I did drop non-degrees in
units for angles and may have made other mistakes in the
transcription.  I will reply in more detail about the other comments
after I get to study them in detail.

Eric Greisen