Subject: WCS to be voted upon at ADASS

From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:03:31 -0400

The ADASS meeting in Kona is coming up and the FITS BoF is scheduled
for Monday night (October 4, 1999).  At that time, we will discuss and
probably vote on sending the three World Coordinates papers to the
American, European, and Japanese FITS committees for formal votes.
Assuming that all is favorable, the three papers will then be
submitted to A&AS and become part of "the" FITS standard.  If you have
not fetched and read these papers you really should do so.  They had
their last major revisions in mid May, 1999.  Since then, we
discovered that A&AS uses computer modern fonts rather than Times
Roman used by A&A, although both use the same LaTeX2e macros package.
We have had to rearrange things a bit and have made a few minor
wording corrections to accommodate this change. 

The papers are

    ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/wcs.ps.gz
             (Paper I, general conventions, 96 kbyte)

    ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/ccs.ps.gz
             (Paper II, celestial coordinates, 169 kbyte)

    ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/scs.ps.gz
             (Paper III, spectral coordinates, 74 kbyte)

The ADASS poster and paper are also available as

    ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/Poster99.ps.gz
             (Mark did a lovely job, 59 kbyte)

    ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/Paper99.ps.gz
             (Executive summary paper, 25 kbyte)

Please read these and be prepared to discuss them via e-mail or at the
ADASS.

                                   Thank you

                                       Eric Greisen
                                       Mark Calabretta