Subject: FITS images to GIF images

From: [email-masked] (Sergei Naoumov)
Date: 29 May 1994 01:09:56 -0500

Hey, guys!
I thank you all for the response I had posted a few days ago. I've
got many suggestions, so I thought, it's good to make some sort of
a review.

Well, the conversion of "scientific" images can be done in, say, three
different ways:

1. Display it with SAOimage or Ximtool and then grab it from the
   screen. I think it's ok when you don't need good quality -- just
   to have it. Xv can be used for this purpuse since it has a "Grab"
   function. To be honest, I knew about it when I posted my question
   and I tried it but the quolity is not good enough.

2. Use Xv with a patch that makes it able to read FITS files. No problem,
   it works but it's a kind of slow when an image is big: my Sparc 10
   reads and displays 2119x2119 image for about a minute. The patch
   can be found everywhere (standard X's sites).

3. Use PBMPlus package which is really the fast one. You have to say
	fitstopgm file.fits | pgmtoppm | ppmtogif file.gif

That's the way it works. Thank you all again.

	Sergei

-- 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+   Sergei O. Naoumov  [email-masked]  tel: (919)962-3998   +
+Department of Physics & Astronomy, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++