Subject: Re: IRAF's imh to GIF

From: [email-masked] (Karl Glazebrook)
Date: 29 May 1994 01:11:49 -0500

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Bruce Alan Macintosh) writes:
>[email-masked] (Sergei Naoumov) writes:
>>I'm wondering is anybody has some sort of a program that converts
>>IRAF's images (or FITS images) into GIF, TIFF or whatever XV can
>>read.
>A disadvantage is that you only get as many levels as your saoimage
>supports - usually it seems to reserve about 200 colors, so this isn't
>very bad. Using something fancy like pbmplus would give you better 
>dynamic range and more control, but would be a lot more work.
>
>Bruce Macintosh				[email-masked]

No work at all - use fitstopgm & ppmtogif if you HAVE the pbmplus
package.

But for most applications, as others have pointed out, XV's screen grab
(which is in versions 3.0 AND 2.0) facility - from an SAOimage display
- will suffice.

---
Karl Glazebrook,           email:  [email-masked] 
Institute of Astronomy,   finger:  [email-masked]
Cambridge, U.K.              WWW:  http://cast0.ast.cam.ac.uk/~kgb/

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Mihos)
Date: 27 May 1994 16:35:30 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
Sergei Naoumov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hello, folks!
>read. It seems a little bit unusual but I really need it. The point
>is that I'm extracting images from Digital Sky Survey, and this
>STScI's thing gives me only FITS files. I need to make fancy things
>(like captions, a little editing, etc.) with them and print. That's
>why I need it.
>
>I'm sure this problem is not unique, so, please, share your experience
>if you have one.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>			Sergei
>
>
I usually display the image, then do:

xwd > image.xwd		(make an x window dump)
xwdtopnm image.xwd | pnmtotiff > image.tiff     (converts to a pnm file,
						 then to a tiff file)

It's klunky, but it works. I am open to better suggestions...

"xwdtopnm" and "pnmtotiff" are part of the "pbmplus" package,
by Jeff Poskanzer. 

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Alan Macintosh)
Date: 27 May 1994 16:37:00 -0500

>IRAF's images (or FITS images) into GIF, TIFF or whatever XV can

One of the simplest techniques - for producing display images, not 
preserving the science data in an image - is just to use xv itself to
grab an image displayed using iraf and saoimage. xv3.00 has a "grab"
button which will grab either an entire window or a portion of it.
Simply use iraf to display the image - which lets you adjust the  levels,
scaling etc. to your liking - in color or greyscale, and then use xv
to grab it, and save it as a gif.

---

From: [email-masked] (H.J. Deeg )
Date: 31 May 1994 07:56:04 -0500

>(like captions, a little editing, etc.) with them and print. That's

For presentation-type work, where you only need a qualitative capture
of the image, you can use xv to grab and save any window that is
displayed on the screen, such as in saoimage. It then gives you a few
options for the file format to save it in.

The other option i'm aware of is with Spyglass Transform, which is a
commercial data display program. It can read FITS and save in a
variety of common formats. The drawback, besides the cost (maybe
$300), is that Transform needs a lot of memory to read an image. We
couldn't get it to read 2k by 2k images with a 24Mbyte sun, but
smaller images work fine.

Hope it helps
Hans-Joerg Deeg