Subject: Re: Image processing software

From: [email-masked] (Mel Martinez)
Date: 18 Aug 1994 09:38:33 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Eric Heim) wrote:

> Can anyone suggest some image processing software that does photometry but
> does NOT require a math coprocessor?
> 
> Preferably, it would work with FITS files.  May be either mac or PC based

Eric,

Some mac suggestions:

NIH Image (available in non-fpu version) - freeware, powerful 8-bit image
processing software supported by the Nat. Inst. of Health. Available at
many ftp sites.

Transform (fpu & non-fpu, soon to be PPC native) - commercial ware from
SpyGlass Inc.  Educ. discount avail.  A great package.

IDL - I _THINK_ this has a non-fpu version , but I wouldn't want to try it
without one.  Big package, does everything.

MacPhaze - don't know a lot about it.  Demo on sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

MAIA - (free or shareware, not sure) - great little image processing
software primarily for astronomy, but flexible.  Formerly called
MacVista.  Check mac ftp sites.

There are several others, and I am fairly certain that Maple and
Mathematica could do what you want as well.

SpyGlass Transform, Maple and Mathematica are also available for Windows
and Unix.

I should caution, that for large data sets, you will find not having a
floating-point co-processor to be a real pain no matter whether PC or Mac
or whatever.  Also, the more memory available the better.

For further mac science software questions, try posting to comp.sys.mac.scitech.

Cheers,

Mel Martinez
The Johns Hopkins University
Dept. of Physics
Baltimore, MD 21218
[email-masked]