Subject: Re: psf from image ?

From: [email-masked] (David Tyler)
Date: 27 Jun 1996 14:50:56 GMT

JIANG MING <[email-masked]> writes:

>*  Support for extracting PSF from image

>Could someone tell me  to know how to do such an extracting and if there are 
>any avaiable references. 

if the object is *known,* the psf may be estimated by minimizing some
cost function, for example ||obj*otf - img||, where obj is the object
spatial spectrum, otf is the trial optical transfer function (FT of the 
psf), and img is the spatial spectrum of the recorded image.

if the object is *unknown,* the object and psf may be jointly estimated,
although this is a computationally intensive problem.  various "blind
deconvolution" methods seem to work well when noise is not significant.
a good reference for the joint estimation problem is paxman, schulz, and 
fienup, josa-a 9, p. 1072 (1992).  see also the references therein.

dave
______________________________________________________________________
-David W. Tyler               "It seems you feel our work is not    
-USAF Phillips Laboratory         of benefit to the public."
-Albuquerque, New Mexico                     
[email-masked]                         --Rachel