Subject: Re: Index of Refraction of Atmosphere

From: Michael Dworetsky <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 1998 14:06:50 -0600

Stephenson Tucker wrote:
> 
> I am looking for the index of refraction of the atmosphere based on
> temperature, pressure, relative humidity and wavelength.

If you can find it, this is very useful:

Tablitsi Refraktsii Pulkovskoii Observatorii 5th Edn (1985).  With a
nice preface in English.

Boris Garfinkel, Astronomical Refraction in a Polytropic Atmosphere,
probably would give you what you want if you don't need extreme
accuracy.   Plenty on horizontal refraction.  Astronomical Journal, 72,
p 235, 1967.  He gives references to earlier work which might be useful
such as his 1944 paper which I don't have here.  I believe the Astronomy
Abstracts Service has all the older AJs available on line now.

-- 
Mike Dworetsky, Department of Physics      
& Astronomy, University College London  
Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT  UK       
   email: [email-masked]