Subject: Re: [?] Automated object detection+classification in 3d data cubes?

From: Wilfred Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 1998 08:39:18 -0500

Brad Gibson wrote:
> 
> I'd be interested in finding any pointers to references on the automated
> detection of objects in 3-dimensional data cubes.  

Brad,

There is a program in IDL and miriad called clfind that does this. It
originates from J. Williams at CfA I believe, who documents the program
at http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~jpw/clfind.html. I think you need to get
the BIMA version of miriad from 
http://bima.astro.umd.edu/bima/programmer.html rather than the ATNF
version. Also, check with the Parkes multibeam guys (eg Lister) as they
must be doing something similar to find the dwarfs in their data.

Wilfred Walsh

---

From: Volker Ossenkopf <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 1998 08:01:28 -0500

Brad Gibson wrote:
> I'd be interested in finding any pointers to references on the automate=
d
> detection of objects in 3-dimensional data cubes. =20

Gaussclumps is a FORTRAN code to find objects in a 3-D data cube
(normally position and velocity) that can be approximated by Gaussians=20
in all three dimensions. I don't know whether this fits your
needs in galaxy detection.

Gaussclumps was described in detail by Stutzki & Guesten 1990,=20
ApJ 356, 513. The code with some explanations is available by
anonymous ftp at zeus.ph1.uni-koeln.de/pub/gaussclumps .

Best wishes
		Volker

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Volker Ossenkopf    KOSMA (K=F6lner Observatorium f=FCr submm-Astronomie)
Tel.: 0221 4703485                    1. Physikalisches Institut der
Fax.: 0221 4705162                               Universit=E4t zu K=F6ln
E-Mail: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------