Subject: Re: [?] LateX .bib files for astrophysics papers

From: Andreas Haerpfer <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 May 1998 08:26:34 -0500

[email-masked] (Ramin Sina) writes:

> Hi all, I was wondering if there are  bibliography files for papers in 
> astrophysics which can be used with latex. If yes, where can I find them?
> I am in particular looking for a .bib file with many enteries for cosmic ray 
> papers.

Hi,

I doubt that you will find any comprehensive and ready to use bibtex
files which are at least halfways up to date.  However, you may create
them at your own by using the ADS abstract service at

	http://adswww.harvard.edu

Follow the links `Abstracts' -> `Astronomy and Astrophysics Abstract
Service' to a query form where you can specify authors, title words,
text keywords and a lot more.  On the bottom of the query results'
page you can select `Return BIBTEX reference list' and then say
`Retrieve all references' -- that's it.

The only thing that perhaps remains to do is to adapt the original
labels to your personal needs.

BTW: a search for the keywords `cosmic' && `ray' yielded 8112 hits!

Hope that helps.

Andi

-- 
Andreas Haerpfer  <[email-masked]>
PGP fingerprint:  87 6D F8 06 AD 4A AA B3  6D 6B E2 63 61 61 DA BB
*** This message was entirely written with recycled electrons ***

---

From: [email-masked] (Guenther Eichhorn)
Date: 5 May 1998 08:50:24 -0500

You can build bibliographies in different formats with the Astrophysics
Data System Abstract Service:

<URL:http://adsabs.harvard.edu/ads_abstracts.html>

The ADS allows you to output the reference lists in several formats,
including bibtex and the reference format for LaTex.

The ADS allows you to search the astronomical literature (as well as
literature on Astronomic Instrumentation).  The Astronomy database
contains over 400,000 references, the Instrumentation database over
500,000).  The returned references contain links to a number of other
information providers (eg. on-line journals, data centers, object
databases, scanned journal articles).

This service is a NASA funded project, and access is free world-wide. 
We have mirror sites in France and Japan to improve access times for
non-US users.  I am currently discussing another mirror site in Chile.

If you have any questions about the ADS, please contact us at:

<mailto:[email-masked]>

Guenther
---------------------------------------------------
Dr. Guenther Eichhorn        |  [email-masked]
Project Scientist            |  Phone: 617-495-7260
Astrophysics Data System     |  Fax:   617-496-7577
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory