Subject: Re: [?] Synthetic aperture

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Helbig)
Date: 20 Jul 1998 09:14:35 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Didier
A. Depireux) writes: 

> I would like to understand the method of aperture synthesis used in
> radio-astronomy. What is the standard reference?

Since I'm not a radio astronomer (despite the .sig---I'm a theorist:),
I'm not sure of the `standard' reference, but the basics are explained
in AN INTRODUCTION TO RADIO ASTRONOMY by Bernard F. Burke and Francis
Graham-Smith (former Astronomer Royal with an office down the hall).
This is a new book, published by Cambridge University Press.  Available
in paperback.  ISBN 0 521 55604 X (paperback) or 0 521 55454 3
(hardback).  Chapter 6, 16 pages, is called `Aperture synthesis'.  The
book is about half about the technical side of radio astronomy and half
about the universe as revealed by radio astronomy. 

--
Phillip Helbig                         Email .......... [email-masked]
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories  Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)
Jodrell Bank                           Fax ................. +44 1477 571 618
Macclesfield                           Telex ................. 36149 JODREL G
UK-Cheshire SK11 9DL                   Web .... http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~pjh/

---

From: Michael Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jul 1998 09:17:50 -0500

Try the book from 1986, "Interferometry and Synthesis in Radio
Astronomy"
by Thompson, Moran, and Swenson.  A Wiley-Interscience book.
-- 

----------------------------------------------------
|   Mike Kaiser        [email-masked] |
| NASA-GSFC/Code 695              or               |
| Greenbelt, MD 20771  [email-masked]   |
| phone (301)-286-5461                             |
|  fax  (301)-286-1683                             |
|  http://lep694.gsfc.nasa.gov/code695/mlk.html    |
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: Angelos Vourlidas <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jul 1998 10:54:00 -0500

> radio-astronomy. What is the standard reference?

The standard reference should be  "Interferometry and Synthesis in Radio
Astronomy"
by Thompson, Moran & Swenson. At least that's where I learned my
interferometry from. The UMd library should have it.
Hope this helps (and good luck)
Angelos

--

+--------------------------------------------------------+
| Angelos Vourlidas                                      |
| Naval Research Lab                                     |
| code 7660                                              |
| Washington, DC 20375-5320        Phone: (202) 767-2800 |
| [email-masked]     Fax:   (202) 767-5636 |
+--------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Martin Hardcastle <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jul 1998 10:55:56 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>radio-astronomy. What is the standard reference?

If you want information on how it is done in practice then the
standard reference is the proceedings of the NRAO summer school;

Perley, Richard; Schwab, Frederic; and Bridle, Alan. Synthesis Imaging
in Radio Astronomy.  Third NRAO Summer School, 1988. San Fransisco:
Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 1988.  QB479.3 N73
1988. Astrophsyics. $38.40; I believe you can buy this from the
ASP. You can also download it (without figures) from NRAO's web site.

(Unfortunately you've just missed this year's summer school.)

The Thompson et al reference is also good if you can get it.

Martin
-- 
Martin Hardcastle             Department of Physics, University of Bristol
                                              Be not solitary, be not idle
Please replace the xxx.xxx.xxx in the header with bristol.ac.uk to mail me