Subject: NEED Standard Data Interchange Format

From: [email-masked] (Jerome Guionnet)
Date: 26 Jan 94 10:36:15 GMT

Hi,

I am currently working in a project which will used a repository (we
don't want to be linked with a particular one) to store structured
data (object & links). To be as independant as possible, we need to
define a abstract interface over this repository and also a standard
data interchange format, to exchange data.

To define the abstract interface, we will take a look at PCTE, ODMG
and I think we will find a standard solution.

The problem is to find a standard format to exchange data. Indeed, we
will have distributed tools over this repository with which we will
exchange data. We will communicate with this tools in two differents
way, in batch and interactivly. For both this way we think that we can
use the same format.

We need a Data Interchange Format to exchange both
	Data structure (Database schema)
	Data (instance)

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
 - Do you know this kind of format ?
 - Do you know about CDIF or SGML ?
 - Do you known if the ODMG has something to propose (I think not for
the moment) ?
 - What do you think of using the same format as for static and
dynamic exchange ?

Any experiences and remarks are welcomed.

Thank for your response by email [email-masked]. I will make 
a summary if I have sufficient answer.

Jerome

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerome Guionnet				        Voice: +33 76 76 47 32
Cap Gemini Innovation				Fax: +33 76 76 47 48
7, Chemin du Vieux Chene, ZIRST 4206,	        e-mail: [email-masked]
38942 MEYLAN CEDEX, France			        [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------