Subject: Where to find Quicktime "format"

From: [email-masked] (Joseph B. Gurman)
Date: 12 Jul 1993 19:20:46 GMT

I received a question over the weekend after posting to describe
Quicktime movies available via anonymous ftp from umbra.gsfc.nasa.gov.
The correspondent wanted to know "where to find the Quicktime format,"
but mail to his return address ([email-masked]) failed, so I'm
posting here.
    If you have a Mac running System 7.0 or later, chances are Quicktime
came with the system software. (I almost said, "on one of the system 
diskettes," but the Performas and PowerBook 145 don't come with the
diskettes any more. I honestly don't know if Quicktime runs on Macs with
sytems earlier than 7.0, but in any case you can get the latest version
via anonymous ftp from ftp.apple.com on dts/mac/sys.soft/quicktime.
    If you're running Windows on an MS-DOS machine, I believe Claris
sells a quicktime viewer for Windows, but I'm not very familiar with the
Windows world, so I can't tell you how much it costs or if there are any
competing, shareware products.
    As for the real format of Quicktime files in general, the Apple
Programmer's and Developers' Association (sorry, I haven't got the 800
number handy) will have the Developer's Technical Note (or manual) that
descibes that.
    Please ping me again if I haven't answered your question.
                                                Joe Gurman

--
J.B. Gurman / Solar Physics Branch / NASA Goddard Space Flight Center /
Greenbelt MD 20771 USA / [email-masked]
| Federal employees are prohibited from holding opinions under the Hatch Act.|
| Therefore, any opinions expressed herein are somebody else's.              |