Subject: Re: ODL (Object Decsription Language): what is the current version?

From: [email-masked] (Archie Warnock)
Date: 25 Jan 94 05:09:53 GMT

[email-masked] (Pat Ryan) writes:
>	My group has been using the Object Description Language (ODL) for
>organizing data.  We're currently using version 2.1 (March 1991).  The
>format appears to have originated at the University of Colorado.  However,

ODL was originally written (if I recall correctly) as part of the
metadata specification for the Planetary Data System.  Randy Davis at
LASP at Colorado was the principal author.  He's still there - I don't
exactly recall his e-mail, but I can check.  I think it's
[email-masked].  You could also ask Mike Martin at JPL
([email-masked]) for info - he was also heavily involved
>from the PDS end.  I'm not sure, however, that there's any newer
information on ODL itself - more work has been done on the PDS
implementation of it.

It's a very powerful syntax for describing data, and I don't think it's
ever been fully exploited.  Randy's a smart guy...

--
_______________________________________________________________________
-- Archie Warnock              Internet:  [email-masked]
-- Hughes STX                  "WAIS is the engine, WWW is the track"
-- NASA/GSFC                   Project STELAR: WAIS to do science