Subject: Re: time series data (real time)

From: [email-masked] (Markus Kuhn)
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 12:47:30 +0200

[email-masked] (Craig E Rasmussen) writes:

>We have a project which is displaying data in real time from remote sites  
>via the internet.  Currently we are distributing data using NeXT's  
>Portable Distributed Objects (PDO).  However, we are consdering ways to  
>make our software more widely accessible and are considering using HDF or  
>netCDF.  

I'm not an expert on HDF or netCDF, but there is a scientific standard file
format (EBS: extensible bio-signal file format) which has among other things
been designed to allow processing of growing and extremely huge time series
files. It is a very simple but also quite flexible file format which introduces
some concepts I have been missing in many other file formats. If you
want to read the specification, you'll get it with anonymous ftp from
ftp.uni-erlangen.de the file pub/ebs/ebs.doc.

There is also a comfortable X11 viewer called xebs for Unix available
freely on request which supports viewing growing EBS files in real time
and other public domain tools are in development. Please contact
[email-masked] for more information if you are interested.

Markus

-- 
Markus Kuhn, Computer Science student «°o°» University of Erlangen, Germany
Internet: [email-masked]   |   X.500 entry available