Subject: Re: TIFF Formats

From: [email-masked] (Robert F. Cahalan)
Date: 21 Oct 1994 11:58:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (P.V.  
Suryanarayana) writes:
> I need some information on How to write image files in TIFF formats. 
>  ...............STUFF DELETED .....................

What you need, PV, is the TIFF 6.0 spec, and Sam Leffler's public
domain tiff code.  You can get both by anonymous ftp:
---------------------
ftp ftp.uu.net
anonymous
username@
cd graphics/tiff
bin
get TIFF6.ps.Z
quit
uncompress TIFF6.ps.Z
---------------------
Print it and study it.  To read tiff, you have to learn how
to "follow the pointers", and you have to have a dictionary for
the various "tags".  There may be color info in the file, and lots
of other stuff, but the philosophy is to store EVERYTHING YOU NEED
in that one file.  In fact, a single tiff file can hold several
frames of an animation, possibly in some compressed format,
as explained in detail in the TIFF6 spec.
--Bob--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.Dr. Robert F. Cahalan (Bob)...#..Laboratory for Atmospheres......
[email-masked]..#..NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
.*** NeXTMail accepted ***.....#..Greenbelt, MD 20771.............
.FAX: (301) 286-1627...........#..voice: (301) 286-4276...........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~