Subject: Utilities for grouped HDF objects

From: [email-masked] (Ton Willems)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 15:43:33 GMT

Due to a problem with a previous posting in this newsgroup and regarding 
the fact that there was no reply, I assume that the previous posting 
didn't got around the world, so here it is again.

Please feel free to respond.....

My name is Ton Willems from Oce Nederland B.V. a manufacturer of
copiers and printers in Holland.

We have developed several software packages that simulate certain parts 
of physical processes in copiers.

We are in the process of changing the output from these packages from
ascii to HDF format.
Now we ran into a problem that is putting us on hold for a while.

As the HDF files will contain several multi-dimensional quantities we
are looking for software packages for data selection, data analysis and 
data visualization that are able to brows through grouped HDF files.

To give you a rough idea of the datasets one HDF file should contain:

- 250 single quantities in a mix of ints, doubles and strings.
- 60 one and two dimensional arrays containing about 500 floats for
  the 1D and 500 x 100 floats for the 2D arrays.

For the single quantities we chose to put them all in one Vset record.
For the arrays we chose to put them in Scientific Data Sets using
the multifile SD interface.

Due to the amount of datasets and their relations we want to group 
the objects in a logical order.

Now as soon as we group our data, all the marvelous tools for viewing 
and analyzing our datasets cannot be used anymore, because they are not
able to brows and display grouped objects.

So what we are looking for is mainly a visualization software
package with an embedded datanavigator so that we are flexible in the
way we organize our datasets and still be able to display them.

The alternative is a datanavigator with interfaces to other popular
visualization packages.

I can't imagine that we are the only one in the world that need
visualization utilities for grouped datasets, so before writing my 
own program I really want to make sure that the job is not yet done 
by somebody else, 

So If you can be of any help, please let me know.

The next line can be neglected by most of you.
P.S. Wil elke Oce'er die dit leest mij even bellen.

regards,

Oce Nederland B.V.
Research & Development
Physical computations
5900 MA Venlo
Holland

E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone : (31)77 - 593701