Subject: Image Data in Quad Tree & HDF

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence *The Dreamer* Chen)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 22:14:10 GMT

I have an interesting problem involving Quad Trees and Scientific data, that
I need to perform image type operations on (dataprocessing) and output into
HDF files (to view with Collage).

At the base level its a 2D array.  But, to capture detail....each array element
is a quad tree.

IE:

    :       :          :       :          :   :   :
 ---+=======+---    ---+===+===+---    ---+=+=+===+---
    |       |          |   |   |          |0|1|   |
    |       |          | 0 | 1 |          +-0-+ 1 |
    |       |          |   |   |          |3|2|   |
    |       |    ->    +---+---+--- -> ---+-+-+-+-+-+-
    |       |          |   |   |          |   |0|1| :
    |       |          | 3 | 2 |          | 3 +-2-+-+-
    |       |          |   |   |          |   |3|2| :
 ---+=======+---    ---+===+===+---    ---+===+=+=+-+-
    :       :          :       :          :   :   :
 
The data operations have to be performed directly on the 2D array of trees, so
for that I need to way to find the neighbours in the 8 directions.  The 
application source of the data has a proprietary for the display of the data,
so they don't want me to change it (so copying it to fine grid and then working
back isn't allowed, nor do I see a way of doing it without encurring the
penalty of needing lots of memory....which I don't have).  Does anybody know
of pointers to general source code (preferrably in C) to do this kind of
operation with Quad Trees (better yet, my 2D array of quad trees).

And, is there a way to display this kind of data Collage? (generating an HDF,
I'm thinking some kind of scan line algorithm....but with the Quad Tree.)

I would prefer Email responses, I will sumarize if there is enough interest.
-- 
 WORK: [email-masked]      | PHONE 403 529 2162 | FAX 529 2516 | VE6LKC
 HOME: [email-masked] |       403 526 6019 |     529 5102 | VE6PAQ
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Praxis Society K12 BBS - 403 529 1610  |  Lunatic Haven BBS - 403 526 6957
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 disclamer = (working_for && !representing) + (Combustion Dynamics Ltd.);