Subject: Re: Looking for book about data formats for spreadsheets etc.

From: David PC Wollmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 20:20:04 GMT

>  
> We are looking for books that describe common data formats, like SYLK or WKS 
> for spreadsheets or formats of well-known statistics packages like SAS, 
> RATS, etc. 
 
There used to be a book out called "File Formats for Popular Software," or something   
close to that.  I haven't seen it lately, but an inquiry at any major book chain (or   
"Books in Print") should show it if it's still around. 
 
Cheers 

-------------------------------------------------- 
David PC Wollmann 
Digital Systems Technologies 
Support for withdrawn IBM products 
IBM legacy data conversions 
[email-masked] 
http://www.oknet.com/ibmstuff/dstnet.html 
-------------------------------------------------- 
IBM OS/2 Warp 3.0 | PR Mailer 1.03a | PRNR v 1.01d 
-------------------------------------------------- 
Reason is my co-pilot.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Gwinn)
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 21:58:36 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, David PC Wollmann

> "Books in Print") should show it if it's still around. 

Try the "The File Formats Handbook" by Gunter Born, ITP 1995.  It's a big,
thick book, and costs US $87, if I recall.  Definitely, a reference book. 
It had lots of spreadsheet formats, but I do not recall anything for
statistics packages.  I assume that SAS refused to tell?

Joe Gwinn