Subject: Re: ***URGENT*** : WANTED: DXF format converter

From: Don and Lori MacVittie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 02:09:54 -0500

Hi Shon & Ulrich;

If you want it for free, I'm afraid your options are pretty limited. 
There are some sources on the net (search for DXF & format, or start at
cadence's web page), but I haven't found any complete ones that can be
used for free.  You can probably get one of these to do the job you need
though.

If you're willing to pay for this library, check out MarComp and Dr.
DWG.  We evaluated several at a previous employer, and these were the
best.  We chose Dr. DWG, but another company I know chose MarComp.
Dr. DWG was $695.00 US, I don't have a price for MarComp's (I remember
it involved royalties).
Dr. DWG comes as a DLL, last I heard MarComp was in a lib.

The DXF format is also well documented (look for the documentation on
Autodesk's web pages, I'm sure it's there somewhere).  If you enjoy that
kind of thing, or are short on cash, that's an option.

My employer has developed a product that translates GIS formats
(including DXF)...  I don't know if this is in your area of interest,
but if so feel free to check it out at:
http://www.aztechcon.com/geomorph/aboutgeo.htm

Hope that helps some.
Don.

> > Please help me with the following problem:
> > I need a C++ - function or DLL which is able to read a DXF-file and
> > write it (object for object) into a (relational) database (or into a
> > struct).
> 
> If you find an answer, I'd appreciate the information also.

-- 
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Donald W. MacVittie		[email-masked]
Senior Systems Engineer		http://netnet.net/~peeker/
Applications Software Technologies, Inc. 
				[email-masked]
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

---

From: [email-masked] (andreas schumm)
Date: 10 Sep 1996 11:38:07 GMT

>   used for free.  You can probably get one of these to do the job you need

You may want to try DXFLib, a C++ class library coming with full
source for DOS and Unix machines (OCX option available as well i think).
Each entity is implemented as a corresponding C++ object, with table
references already resolved, and virtual methods can be overlaid to
do visualization, DB interfacing, conversion or whatever you have in
mind. Used it for 2D with great success, but does 3D as well. No WWW
reference, but a fax no (++49 2133 478567). 

For free libraries, choices are indeed limited, but i recall one lib
for the DWG format (the binary alternative from autodesk), don't 
remember the exact reference. Was DLL only, however. 

And then there's Technegroup, a US-based company doing all sorts
of CAD conversions, built around their IGES solution. A bit heavy,
but very pro.