Subject: Re: MS Excel Data format

From: [email-masked] (HRodstein)
Date: 4 Oct 1996 00:06:13 -0400

> I would like to know the internal data   format of Microsoft
> Excel 5.0. I am actually developing a software and am trying to 
> introdue a feature to save my text data in Excel format. 

This is described in the Excel Developer's Kit from Microsoft Press. It is
a fairly complicated format made much more complicated by the fact that
Excel files are OLE compound documents. Thus, in addition to understanding
the Excel file format, you need to know a bit about OLE and be able to
call OLE libraries to write the compound file.

Good luck!

Howard Rodstein
WaveMetrics (makers of IGOR Pro - Mac scientific graphing and data
analysis)
www.wavemetrics.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Cumpson)
Date: 9 Oct 1996 10:26:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>
>Hi,
>        I do not know if this is the proper newgroup to post my query.
>Pls help
>Au Revoir
>-Vittal

Vittal,

Microsoft publish an Excel 5.0 Software Developers Kit (SDK). This is
a book (about 30 pounds in the UK if I remember correctly) with a floppy
in the back cover with some useful bits of C. One of the chapters is
entirely devoted to the format in which workbooks are saved. It tells
you all you'll ever need to know. Email me if you need the ISBN number.

Peter Cumpson