Subject: Re: DX to NetCDF converter

From: [email-masked] (L.Treinish)
Date: 4 Nov 1996 16:54:02 GMT

NetCDF is built into DX via the Import module -- format="netCDF".
I'll send you a summary document that describes the level of support.  The
same material is available in the DX documentation.  An abstract of this
support is on the Unidata web site in the discussion about software that
can use data in netCDF.

However, this support is Import-only, not Export.  The problem with Export
of DX objects into netCDF is that netCDF won't support most structures that
DX does.  For some, you would have to create elaborate conventions with netCDF,
which wouldn't be known to a typical netCDF reader, and probably couldn't be
handled by the application.  If, however, the data were fairly simply (i.e.,
regular grids that netCDF handles well), you could use Export to output raw
arrays.  Once on disk, you could use ncgen to create a netCDF from the output
files.

In article <[email-masked]>, Jeff Scuba <[email-masked]> writes:
|> Hi:
|> 
|> I have several data files in Data Explorer 3.1 format, and I would like
|> to have them in NetCDF format.  I've searched the web and sent email
|> to NetCDF support and DX support with no success at finding a converter.
|> Is there one available in the public domain anywhere?
|> 
|> Also, if I can't find a converter, I may want to write a specific use
|> converter to convert the DX files I have to NetCDF.  How much trouble
|> would it be to write one myself -- I'm not familiar with either of the
|> formats right now?
|> 
|> Thanks,
|> 
|> Jeff

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd A. Treinish					[email-masked]
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center			914-784-5038 (voice)
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598				914-784-5038 (fax)
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd A. Treinish					[email-masked]
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center			914-784-5038 (voice)
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598				914-784-5038 (fax)