Subject: HDF NOW 0.3 release

From: [email-masked] (Albert Cheng)
Date: 25 Jul 1997 21:10:14 GMT

About HDF NOW 0.3
                           July 18, 1997

HDFNOW is a library that supports HDF for a Network Of Workstations.  The
initial design supports the distributed Scientific Datasets for HDF files.

The Distributed SD (DSD) interface is designed for those who are familiar 
with the SD interface and experienced with message-passing programs. The
DSD interface is a layer on top of the SD interface and using MPI for 
interprocess communications.

Changes since HDFNOW 0.2 release
--------------------------------     

 o  Linux is now supported.

 o  Changes in HDF NOW file structure 

    -  A library generated string, DHDF_SetId, is stored in each of distributed 
       HDF files (DHDF). 

    -  A library assigned integer, DHDF_FileId, is stored in each of DHDF. 

    -  The file information of all the files in the same DHDF represented by
       a vdata is stored in the main HDF file (MHF). The file information in
       an associated HDF file contains the information of the MHF and itself.

    Please refer to man/HDFNOW.5 for more information.

Software Requirements
---------------------

 o  HDF distribution release 4.1r1

 o  MPICH 1.1.0 distribution

Platforms supported
-------------------

 o  HP-UX A.09.03

 o  IRIX 5.3

 o  Linux 2.0.30

 o  SunOS 4.1.3

Steps to install the DSD interface
----------------------------------

 o  obtain the DSD interface from  
    ftp://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/pub/HDFNOW/hdfnow0.3.tar 

 o  tar xvf hdfnow0.3.tar

 o  to compile the interface, follow the instructions in src/README.

 o  to test the interface and run examples, follow the instructions in examples/README.

Contact
-------

 o  Comments/suggestions are welcome.  Please email [email-masked]