Subject: Re: Image Processing Software

From: [email-masked] (Steve Gable)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 15:09:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Douglas Johnson ([email-masked]) writes:
>
>
>I heard a rumor about an image processing/manipulation package called
>PIXCELL for the SPARCstation.  Anyone know where I can find out about
>it or have any experience with PIXCELL? 
>

PixCell was written by a group at Sandia Labs in Livermore, CA and is
used extensively there internally.  It was designed to meet the needs
for a low-cost commercial package that had basic image processing
capabilities (mathematical and logical point operations,
convolutions, histograms, etc.), provide output to a standard printers
(LaserJet, etc.) as well as the capability to control input devices. 
In their case, they use two different types of panasonic LaserDisc
systems to input video data which are controlled through RS-232.
 
PixCell can be used stand-alone on SPARCstations under SUNOS 4.1.x or
SOLARIS 2.x ($1k).  It also has extensions to control the Data Cell
family of SBUS frame grabbers for both input and display ($1.5k).

Through a technology transfer from the DOE, the software was licensed
to OMNIX.  High Sierra Technologies resells the software (since we are
the distributor for the Data Cell frame grabbers...).  OMNIX is in the
process of providing new extensions to the package as well as porting it
to other frame grabbers. 

Demonstration copies, user's manual, and example images are available
by annonomous FTP at:

        MACHINE:        ecto.ca.sandia.gov
        ADDRESS:        146.246.250.134
        DIRECTORY:      /pub/pixcell

I hope this helps...

Steve Gable