Subject: Re: File Formats - Recommendations anyone?

From: [email-masked] (Gary D Cederquist GDE)
Date: 4 Feb 1994 11:47:13 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
D.M.P. Hagyard ESE PG <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hello out there,
>	I am shortly to be writing a small test package for manipulating
>images.  I would like to be able to be able to transfer my C programs
>between the DEC and SUN platforms.  What file format would be best to use
>to avoid problems with different architectures.  I would have small and 
>reasonably sized images in 1 - 8 bits per pixel formats, exclusively
>in monochrome, and would probably like to use one of the formats supported
>by xview et al.  What would be the easiest to use for an input/output
>format on the program.

I would pick up a copy of XV 3.0 from your favorite FTP site.  It is an
image manipulation product supporting multiple formats.  It is shareware
at $25 a copy, but it's well worth it.  You probably won't have to write
your own image manipulation routines with XV available, but you could
extend its functionality.  If I were writing something from scratch I
would probably pick GIF.  Seems everyone is using it these days though
I'm not sure where there's a support library for GIF.

Use archie to look for "xv-3.00a*".

Hope I've helped.

-- 
Gary D. Cederquist                      GDE Systems Inc
[email-masked]                     San Diego, CA