Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Pacco-0.6: image processing under tcl-Tk

From: [email-masked] (Alessandro Rubini)
Date: 30 Mar 94 10:49:29 GMT

Version 0.6 of Pacco (Pavia Active-Component Compound Objects) is
available by ftp at iride.unipv.it, in the directory /pub/Pacco
The files (and their size) are:

    README-0.6		the "read me" (12kB)
    pacco-0.6.tz	tarred & gzipped distribution (550kB)
    pacco-docs-0.6.tz	the ps docs included in the distribution (100kB)

===== What's Pacco? ======
  Pacco extends tcl (and tk) to allow handling of binary object. The
long term goal is to provide a way to manage objects in a distributed
environment.  Currently the main stress is on image processing and
interactive i.p. tools, but the approach is object-type independent as
far as kernel functions are concerned. The package is still considered
a beta release.

===== What's tcl-tk? (this is a crosspost) =====
  Tcl is an extensible, interpreted language. Tk is an extension to Tcl
which provides the programmer with an interface to the X11 windowing
system. Pacco adds image display capabilities to the tk widget set.
Tcl-7.3 and Tk-3.6 are available at harbor.ecn.purdue.edu:/pub/tcl/distrib
They are available at our site, too, just in case...

===== What's new? ========
  Lots and lots of features ... excerpts from the README:
 - a ps manual of 25-30 pages;
 - dynamic loading of unknown classes/actions;
 - a network daemon (paccod) is available;
 - actions may be coded in tcl, too;
 - Img_cplxsobel: an action computing the gradient with sobel kernels;
 - image thresholding, rotation, transposition;
  - there is a pacmap canvas item and images can be displayed into
         canvases; the postscript code generated by the items uses the
         current colormap, therefore changes made with clut/menu menus
         are reflected into the postscript code.

===== What's needed? =====
  System requirements to install Pacco are as follows:
- a unix workstation or PC with shared memory support
- an ANSI C compiler (gcc preferred)
- gmake (we used 3.63, maybe other make's will do, but you never know...)
- a tcl library (7.x are allowed)
- a tk library, only needed to run pacmap (either 3.3 or later)

Pacco has only been tested on the following architectures:
   sparcstation-2    (SunOS 4.1.2)
   apollo 9000-720   (hp-ux 8.07 / 9.01)
   pc-clone 386      (Linux 1.0)
Anyway, portability is our majour concern and porting to other
platforms should be easy.

===== Questions? =========
  Don't wait! mail to	[email-masked]  (Alessandro Rubini)
		   or	[email-masked] (Alberto Biancardi)

--
=========================
   alessandro rubini
 [email-masked]
=========================