Subject: Re: About NIH IMAGE

From: [email-masked] (Mark A Vivino)
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 14:14:37 GMT

In article [email-masked] (Steven CHOY) wrote:

> 	Can anyone kindly tell me what is NIH Image?
 
The latest version of NIH Image, application, documents, source code,
macros and more can be found on the anonymous ftp server zippy.nimh.nih.gov
[128.231.98.32] in the directory /pub/nih-image

One of the best ways to download the program is to use the public domain
application known as "Fetch".

NIH Image is a public domain image processing and analysis program for the
Macintosh. It can acquire, display, edit, enhance, analyze, print and
animate images.  It reads and writes TIFF, PICT, PICS and MacPaint files,
providing compatibility with many other applications, including programs
for scanning, processing, editing, publishing and analyzing images. It
supports many standard image processing functions, including contrast
enhancement, density profiling, smoothing, sharpening, edge detection,
median filtering, and spatial convolution with user defined kernels up to
63x63. Image also incorporates a Pascal-like macro programming language,
providing the ability to automate complex,  and frequently repetitive,
processing tasks.

Image can be used to measure area, average gray value, center and angle of
orientation of a user defined regions of interest. It also performs
automated particle analysis and can be used to measure path lengths and
angles. Measurement results can be printed, exported to text files, or
copied to the Clipboard.

Spatial calibration is supported to provide real world area and length
measurements. Density calibration can be done against radiation or optical
density standards using user specified units. The user can select from any
of eight different curve fitting methods for generating calibration curves.

Image provides MacPaint-like editing of color and gray scale images,
including the ability to draw lines, rectangles, ovals and text. It can
flip, rotate, invert and scale selections. It supports multiple windows and
8 levels of magnification. All editing, filtering, and measurement
functions operate at any level of magnification and are undoable.

Image supports Data Translation and Scion frame grabber cards for capturing
images or movie sequences using a TV camera. Acquired gray scale images can
be shading corrected and frame averaged.

Image is written using Think .i.Pascal ;from Symantec Corporation, and the
complete source code is freely available.

-- 

Mark Vivino
[email-masked]
Computational Biosciences and Engineering Lab
Image Processing Research Section  
National Institutes of Health