Subject: Re: FAQ and Image File Format?

From: [email-masked] (David Bourgin (The best player).)
Date: 2 Jun 1994 12:20:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Gang Yang) wrote:
|> Hi,
|> i'm afraid my questions are FAQs. But I don't know how to access FAQ.
|> This was the 1. Question. The 2. Question is: what is the data-structure
|> of tiff files? How can I access them? Any hints (including 
|> on related literatures) will be appreciated.
|> Thanks in advance.    G. Yang  [email-masked]   

1 - site: rtfm.mit.edu
    directory: /pub/usenet/news.answers

2 - A copy of FAQ of comp.graphics news group is available by ftp in
    rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/graphics/faq.

-- 
						David
  /mmm\        /mmm\        /mmm\
  (O o)        (O O)        (o o)
    U            U            u           /mmm\
  ||\  \\        / \\         .           (- -)
 oOOo__oOOo   _____oOOo  ___________  ______u_oOOo___
############  #########  ###########  ################
(BAD ANSWER)   (RETRY)   (ONCE MORE)  (Bored & Asleep)
+----------------------------------------------------+
| Mail: [email-masked] (David Bourgin) |
|       UFR IMA (French University - Grenoble)       |

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lamont)
Date: 2 Jun 1994 15:29:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Gang Yang) writes:
>i'm afraid my questions are FAQs. But I don't know how to access FAQ.
>This was the 1. Question. ...

To the best of my knowledge, no one has built a FAQ for this group
yet.  That's why you can't access it.

>                      ... The 2. Question is: what is the data-structure
>of tiff files? How can I access them? Any hints (including 
>on related literatures) will be appreciated.

You really don't want to know, I assure you.  The TIFF format a
serious bear to read or write and developing a robust tool from
scratch would involve considerable work.  Fortunately, there's a
really nifty library developed by Sam Leffler at SGI.  It comes with
the xv package (if memory serves) or you can FTP it from ftp.sgi.com.
Look in /graphic/tiff.  The current version appears to be 3.0 with a
version 3.3 in beta test.

If you're really feeling like beating your head against the wall, the
TIFF format is described in _Graphics File Formats_ by Kay and Levine
or you an FTP it from one of the following sites:

        zamenhof.cs.rice.edu:pub/graphics.formats
        ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu:/misc/file.formats/graphics.formats
        telva.ccu.uniovi.es:/pub/graphics/file.formats
        peipa.essex.ac.uk:/ipa/file.formats
        avalon.chinalake.navy.mil:/pub/format_specs

							spl
-- 
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (619) 534-7968 -- [email-masked]
San Diego Microscopy and Imaging Resource/UC San Diego/La Jolla, CA 92093-0608
"Where are we going, Walt Whitman?  The doors close in an hour.
Which way does your beard point tonight?" - A. Ginsberg, "A Supermkt in Calif."