Subject: Re: IMAGE CONVERSION .IMG TO .GIF/TIFF/PCX/etc

From: [email-masked] (Paul Carpenter)
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 1994 18:33:57 +0000

[email-masked] "Guttikonda L. Rao" writes:
    Is there any software package that converts .IMG (Imaging Technology Inc
  format)
 to standard graphics formats such as .GIF,.PCX,.TIFF ?

Try contacting Foster Findlay Associates as they have worked with a lot of the 
major PC and VME frame grabbers, with their libraries and application Imaging 
software. They also have a utility called X-Image which converts between a lot 
of image formats, may well include ITI's .IMG format, costs somewhere around 
$300-$350.

	Contact
	Tel:	*-44-91-201-2180
	Fax:	*-44-91-201-2190

They may well be able to help you out and have been working with imaging 
software for many years in many countries..

-------------------------------------------------
Paul Carpenter		| [email-masked]
PC Services		| fax (44) 734-463423
	"Any people you should meet are the products of a deranged imagination"
				--HHGTTG

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Kellen)
Date: 20 Jun 1994 18:18:23 GMT

In sci.image.processing, [email-masked] (Guttikonda L. Rao) writes:
>format) to standard graphics formats such as .GIF,.PCX,.TIFF ?

The portable bitmap collection of programs contains a HUGE collection of 
format conversion routines:

anytopnm       gouldtoppm     pgmtopbm       rawtopgm       ximtoppm
asciitopgm     hipstopgm      pgmtoppm       rawtoppm       xpmtoppm
atktopbm       hpcdtoppm      pi1toppm       rgb3toppm      xvminitoppm
bioradtopgm    icontopbm      pi3topbm       sgitopnm       xwdtopnm
bmptoppm       ilbmtoppm      picttoppm      sirtopnm       ybmtopbm
brushtopbm     imgtoppm       pjtoppm        sldtoppm       yuvsplittoppm
cmuwmtopbm     lispmtopgm     pktopbm        spctoppm       yuvtoppm
fitstopnm      macptopbm      ppmtopgm       spottopgm      zeisstopnm
fstopgm        mgrtopbm       psidtopgm      sputoppm
g3topbm        mtvtoppm       pstopnm        tgatoppm
gemtopbm       pbmtopgm       qrttoppm       tifftopnm
giftopnm       pcxtoppm       rasttopnm      xbmtopbm

And many of the reverse transforms.

Thus img to gif is a two step of imgtoppm FILE.img | ppmtogif > FILE.gif

(These are C programs which you must compile, of course)

Note that the PostScript converters are just frontends to GhostScript.

You'll find the latest release of Netpbm at the following sites:

ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/graphics/graphics/packages/NetPBM
ftp://ikaros.fysik4.kth.se/pub/netpbm.
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/
ftp://peipa.essex.ac.uk/
ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/davidsen/source
ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/archive/netpbm
ftp://ftp.isri.unlv.edu/pub/netpbm

You might also want to grab a package which converts JPEG files to
GIF.

ftp://ftp.isri.unlv.edu/pub/jpegsrc

-- 
"... she saw Dr. Pangloss behind the bushes giving a lesson in experimental
  physics to ... a pretty little brunette who seemed eminently teachable."
  
                                        -- Voltaire, _Candide_

---

From: [email-masked] (Michele Marziani)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 17:29:35 GMT

>format conversion routines:

...[stuff deleted]...

>Thus img to gif is a two step of imgtoppm FILE.img | ppmtogif > FILE.gif

The original poster was asking a conversion program for IMAGING TECHNOLOGY .IMG
format. It has nothing to do with other IMG formats you are mentioning.
The Imaging Technology format is a proprietary format, though it is well
documented in the manuals of their image processors. You could therefore write
a C conversion program yourself.

For instance I wrote an IMG -> PCX conversion program about three years ago.
It understands the IMG format as of 1985 since we bought a PC Vision frame
grabber (not PLUS) and ImageAction/ImageMeasure softwares.

Michele Marziani

--
/* Universita' di Ferrara       E-mail: [email-masked] *
 * Dipartimento di Fisica               Telephone: +39 532 781823 *
 * 44100 Ferrara - ITALY                      Fax: +39 532 781810 */

---

From: [email-masked] (ard jonker)
Date: 20 Jun 1994 10:53:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Guttikonda L. Rao) wrote:

>    Is there any software package that converts .IMG (Imaging Technology Inc format)

Althous sounds very PC-ish, you might want to use a macintoshe shareware
program called GrafikConverter does hundreds of format conns.
Otherwise, debabilizer might be a she IMG, however, is a highly confusing
type of format, as in my knowledge, atleast 4 type of .img formats exist.
rm the major Mac archives (sumex-aim, umich
ard ([email-masked])