Subject: Re: FITS to GIF

From: [email-masked] (David Robinson)
Date: 22 Jun 1994 10:10:10 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (BARRY M. SCHLESINGER) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (ard jonker) writes...
>>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Le
>>Charognard) wrote:
>> 
>>> 
>>>    Is there a way to convert a FITS image to GIF format ? I think I
>>> saw something on this in this newsgroup not too long ago. Thanks.
>>MIRA does read FITS, NIH-IMage can read FITS (if you tell it how: import,
>>swap bytes,x- and y size, and the header size to skip.
>>MIRA= Macintosh program to analyse astronomical images. Shareware or PD,
>>I'm not sure.
>
>N. B.  Many of these programs can process only a subset of FITS data 
>arrays.  Not all can handle NAXIS !=2 or IEEE-754 floating point 
>data.  See the FITS basics and information posting on sci.astro.fits 
>for a start.

I have produced some patches to add fits support to the xv-3.00a image
display program. It allows you to convert to/from GIF, PM, PBM, X11 bitmap,
Sun Rasterfile, BMP, PostScript, IRIS, JPEG and TIFF.

It can handle IEE-754 floating point data on all host machines (including
Vaxes and 64-bit architectures) and supports NAXIS=2 or 3. The only signifcant
non-portability assumption is the use of the ASCII character set.

The patches can be ftp'd from
ftp-hst.ast.cam.ac.uk:/pub/software/xv-patches/FITS-v2.tar.Z

N.B. xv is only shareware for personal use. One day I might get round to
contributing these to the netpbm release.

 David Robinson. ([email-masked])

[Cross posted to sci.astro.fits for the benefit of the fits folk. Followups
 to sci.image.processing only, please]

---

From: [email-masked] (bruno minoja)
Date: 20 Jun 1994 06:54:57 GMT

>saw something on this in this newsgroup not too long ago. Thanks.
 Convert module of ImageMagick packages do it.
 
                     Bruno

---

From: [email-masked] (ard jonker)
Date: 20 Jun 1994 10:57:03 GMT

MIRA does read FITS, NIH-IMage can read FITS (if you tell it how: import,
swap bytes,x- and y size, and the header size to skip.
MIRA= Macintosh program to analyse astronomical images. Shareware or PD,
I'm not sure.
NIH-Image: pd ftp'able from zippy.nimh.nih.gov