Subject: Re: binary tables discussion

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 17:57:29 EST

William Pence writes:
 > If Doug's time estimates are correct, then I leave it to the Chairman
 > to decide when to call for a vote.  

I told Bob Kibrick privately that I am prepared to wait until he is
ready. The discussions which have occurred are useful.

 > I would vote in favor of all the
 > proposals as they stand, on the understanding that the appendices to
 > the binary table proposal would be reviewed as soon as the appropriate
 > people are available to do so.   

That is a thoroughly reasonable statement, Bill. Thank you! 

The IAU FITS WG must make a determined effort to achieve a true
worldwide consensus on FITS matters. It is clear that the community
has not yet completely done this in the matter of the BINTABLE
proposal. I therefore expect that the IAU WG will insist on a review
of the appendices before adoption of the proposals (as Vice-Chair of
the WG I will recommend that the IAU WG should sponsor the review).

 > Should we appoint a subcommittee of
 > WFC members to review and (possibly) redraft the appendices and
 > resubmit them to the full WFC (and sci.astro.fits) for consideration?

In my opinion, Preben Grosbol (Chair of the IAU FITS WG) should
initiate the review/revision process. Recall that WFC is not the only
group -- there are two other FITS committees who will be involved in
the matter (one of them has already endorsed the existing BINTABLE
proposal).

-Don