Subject: Search for an Assistant Director for Sta

From: "Stenseng, Stein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1996 10:55:10 GMT

STATE OF WASHINGTON
DEPT. OF COMMUNITY TRADE & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - ENERGY POLICY
June 1996

The Washington State Department of Community Trade & Economic Development
(CTED) is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Director - Energy
Policy. This complex position offers an opportunity for a creative leader
who can efficiently oversee energy policy analysis, implementation of the
State Energy Strategy, support the Energy Site Evaluation Council, and
provide recommendations on energy policy to the Director, Governor and the
Legislature.

ROLE

The Assistant Director provides comprehensive energy policy and related
environmental analysis for the cutting edge energy issues facing both the
State of Washington and the Pacific Northwest region. This includes the
implementation of the State Energy Strategy as well as providing staff
support to the Energy Site Evaluation Council. The Assistant Director
provides expert testimony to the Legislature, Northwest Power Planning
Council and the Governor*s Office as well as Congress. He or she will manage
a dedicated staff of energy professionals with a biennial budget of 5.1
million dollars.

CHALLENGE

The Assistant Director must be a key player, ensuring that state energy
policies balance the needs of Washington residents and businesses with
economic growth and the maintenance of ample low cost energy supplies for
our future.

The state*s 11 billion dollar energy marketplace is undergoing rapid and
massive change, the direction of which is largely unknown. The incumbent
must deal effectively in fashioning policies which will meet the challenges
of increased competition in the electrical utilities, efficient use of
energy systems, deregulation and declining costs in natural gas,
deregulation of transmission access, hydroelectric power generation and
protection of fish and wildlife habitat, renewable energy as well as a whole
host of other energy issues.
Additionally, the Assistant Director will form an effective partnership with
Washington State University Cooperative Extension - Energy to facilitate
cooperation in applied research and energy technology transfer and energy
policy, between academia and government.

REQUISITES

Successful candidates will have a demonstrated track record of managerial
and leadership skills and experience. They must posses credible knowledge of
the emergent energy issues facing Washington and the Pacific Northwest. The
ability to communicate effectively in a realm of complex energy issues
within the political and legislative environment is a must. He or she must
be a credible leader who can forge policy partnerships with government and
the private sector for the benefit of both. Candidates who have substantial
knowledge of governmental operations and can motivate, empower and lead
staff will be given preference. Energy policy experience at the state,
local, federal level, or within the energy industry will be advantageous.
Graduate education in an appropriate discipline will be helpful.

COMPENSATION

The maximum salary level for this position is $ 61, 560 annually, DOQ. This
position serves at the pleasure of the Director of CTED and is exempt from
Civil Service. Employees are covered by a full range of benefits: paid
annual and sick leave, retirement pension, medical and dental coverage, life
insurance and optional disability insurance and deferred compensation plan.
The state of Washington is an equal opportunity employer who values and
sustains diversity in the workplace.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE

Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest with a detailed
resume describing your education and experience as they relate to the
requisites for this position as well as three professional references to:

Stein Stenseng
WA Department of Personnel
Executive Search Services
600 South Franklin
Olympia, WA 98504-7530
(360)664-9684; FAX (360)586-6695
E-Mail Address: [email-masked]

(please visit our home page at: http://www.wa.gov/dop/exec1.html)