Subject: Re: FITS on PClones: 1) display?

From: [email-masked] (Archie Warnock)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 92 13:45:23 -0400

So Stephen Walton sez to me, (s)he sez:
> I have two related questions about FITS file on PClones, one general
> and one specific.
> 
> The general one is:  what software is out there for displaying them,
> esp. on a Super VGA in 256-color mode?  Ideally, I'd like to find
> someone who's written a driver for PCVISTA, but I'd settle for a
> simple stand-alone program to do the trick.

My friend, have I got the answer for you <g>.  IMDISP will do the trick
for you, (maybe, depending on which SVGA board you've got).  It's
available by anonymous FTP from ames.arc.nasa.gov - look in
pub/SPACE/SOFTWARE for IMDISP78.EXE.  I'm one of the authors, so feel
free to direct questions/comments/fixes/etc to me.

I've considered an interface to VISTA for some time but the version I
saw was pretty primitive in how it handled FITS headers, and was awfully
restrictive about file names and the like.  OTOH, IMDISP doesn't handle
floating point images all that well, either.  Still, I'm real interested
in seeing such an interface.

Any other VISTA-holics on the list?

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Archie Warnock                   Internet:  [email-masked]
-- Hughes STX                       "Unix --- JCL For The 90s"
-- NASA/GSFC