Subject: Proposed NOST Standard version 1.0 now available

From: "BARRY M. SCHLESINGER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 15:21:33 -0400

The NASA/OSSA Office of Standards and Technology (NOST)
technical panel has reached consensus on a Proposed Standard, the NOST
Definition of the Flexible Image Transport System.  This document is
now being submitted to the NOST Accreditation Panel for approval as a
NOST standard. It is also being submitted to the IAU FITS Working
Group for endorsement as the international FITS standard.  Until such
time as the IAU FITS Working Group announces endorsement of the NOST
standard, it will not supersede the existing FITS documentation as the
international standard for FITS. The Proposed Standard, version 1.0, is
now available electronically on the National Space Science Data Center
computers and in printed form from the NOST librarian.  It supersedes
the Draft Standard, version 0.3. 
 
	Copies are available in LaTeX, PostScript, and flat ASCII. 
The flat ASCII version does not have an index; otherwise, the versions
in the different formats are identical.  The NSSDCA computer is a
VAX/VMS 9410; therefore, file names are case insensitive, and disks
and subdirectories are designated as ANON_DIR:[FITS] for the disk
"ANON_DIR" and the directory "FITS". Retrieve the AAREADME.DOC file
first. It describes the files in the FITS directory and provides more
detail on session and retrieval procedures. 

                      Internet (TCP/IP)            DECnet
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Name:            NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV          NSSDCA
    Address:         128.183.36.23                 15.188  (15548)

   ----------------------------------------------------------------------

===============================================================================
==             	       DECnet AAREADME.DOC                          ==
===============================================================================
ndadsa $ copy/log nssdca::anon_dir:[fits]aareadme.doc *
%COPY-S-COPIED, NSSDCA::ANON_DIR:[FITS]AAREADME.DOC;1 copied to
                                            DISKA":[MEV]AAREADME.DOC;2 (1 block)
===============================================================================
==             Anonymous FTP AAREADME.DOC copy via Internet         ==
===============================================================================
ndadsa $ ftp nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov

NDADSA.GSFC.NASA.GOV MultiNet FTP user process 2.2(100)
Connection opened (Assuming 8-bit connections)
<NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV MultiNet FTP Server Process 2.2(11) at Mon 24-Dec-90
 9:17AM-EST

NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV>user anonymous
<anonymous user ok. Send real ident as password.

Password: [email-masked]
<Guest User [email-masked] logged into ANON_DIR:[000000] at Mon
 24-Dec-90 09:17, job 202003a1.
<Directory and access restrictions apply

NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV>cd fits
<Connected to ANON_DIR:[FITS].

NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV>get aareadme.doc;1 readme.
<VMS retrieve of ANON_DIR:[FITS]AAREADME.DOC;1 started.
<Transfer completed.  316 (8) bytes transferred.

NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV>quit
<QUIT command received. Goodbye.

======================================================================

Printed copies may be obtained from the NOST Librarian.  The NOST can
be reached as follows: 

(Postal) NASA/OSSA Office of Standards and Technology
	 Code 633.2
	 Goddard Space Flight Center
	 Greenbelt MD 20771
	 USA
 
(Internet) [email-masked]
(DECnet) NCF::NOST

Telephone: +1-301-286-3575 8 a. m. - 5 p. m., U. S. Eastern Time
	If the Librarian is unavailable, a phone mail system takes the
call after four rings. 
	Please mention this announcement in your request.  If a large 
volume of requests for printed copies is received initially, there may 
be some delay in the distribution.

For further information send electronic mail to the FITS Support
office at
	(DECnet) 	NCF::FITS
	(Internet)	[email-masked]

or telephone at +1-301-513-1634.  The telephone is equipped with a voice
mail system to take messages from touch tone phones if no one answers.