Linux BOF (Birds Of a Feather) Session
- Real Time and Embedded
- Types of Real Time: Hard, Soft, and Marketing (!)
- "VxWorks is dangerously unreliable"! (cf. Mars Polar Lander)
- In RT Linux (RTL), Linux is
one of many threads in hard real-time Kernel; supports LabView, GNU
- RTAI (competitor) seems not as
far ahead (IMO)
- Embedded Linux: can fit in 8 Megs or less of NVRAM
- Other Miscellany:
- WINE: latest can run M$ Office 2000.
- Plex86, an Open Source VMWare clone.
- Starlink Standard Linux: Install minimum, add as
- GNOME seems likely de facto standard Unix Desktop
- Beowulf: "Don't do it on the cheap! We did..." (Peter Teuben)