Document Interchange in
What is the Problem?
- Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, Unix... all different.
- Until recently, no common document
format between them
- Plain Text ("ASCII"): functional, but loses style, panache
- PostScript: hard to generate from Windows
- PDF: not always easy to generate from Linux, Unix; $$$
needed on windows
- HTML: fine for online, but:
- Issues with browser-specific extensions (micro$oft at
it again with IE)
- No control over printout details (pagination, etc.)
- Document conversion DOES NOT WORK.
WordPerfect to Word, .doc to OpenOffice, etc. loses details, formatting, and
more. Functionality at 90% level isn't enough.