Basic File and Directory Navigation
- One FileSystem (to rule them all), starts with root dir
- Standard locations:
/bin on all Unix/Linux
- Different disks (= drives), partitions
"mounted" on directories within the
- Everything is a file (devices too).
- Network File System (NFS): mount a server's disk. Everything in
the One FileSystem!
- Shell (terminal, xterm) commands used to navigate (more powerful
than DOS commands)
- Graphical Browsers (Gnome, KDE) used to
browse the One FileSystem
- Automounter to explore other clients, servers "on
demand" (not there till asked for!):
autofs: predefined set of
mount points, e.g.
amd: more like "network
shows all "exported" filesystems on host bonobo.