Putting Images in Web Pages
Pixels and Resolution
- Size in inches depends on dots per inch and
pixel size (think: a pixel = a dot)
- 1000 x 1000 image at 100 dots per inch is 10" x 10"
- SAME 1000 x 1000 image at 500 dots per inch is 2"
- Tweaking dots per inch does not change the actual
image pixels on disk.
- Programs like photoshop tend to hide this reality from
- You can't increase the inherent resolution of an
image (i.e., its pixel size).
- Making it bigger just replicates pixels, no improvement in
resolution (it won't look better).