Directories & LDAP: the NRAO Connection
Directories and the Network
- Eliminate "stovepipes"; custom, de facto "duct tape" between things
(e.g., mail aliases table, list of web pages,
auto-generated mailing lists...)
- Concentric circles: data on inside, intranet, extranet, internet
- A directory should help facilitate:
- Single or near-single sign on;
- Manageable PKI (Public Key Infrastructure, if used);
- Easy deployment of secure/sensitive applications; give
control to the person who has the authority.
- "Enterprise" directories, Network OS facilities (NIS/YP) are merging.
- Quality of Service: high priority to, e.g. remote observing; low or
zero to less important services; routers will be directory-enabled.
- Future Possibilities for a Directory Service:
- Proposal submission and management
- Observer management (!!)
- Data Products (e.g., proprietary/public periods for observations)
- Allow external users to modify their information without
manual intervention by us. Think guests, observers, other