Directories and NRAOs Future
- Three-tier: external, meta- (glue), and special purpose (NIS etc).
- X.500 past, LDAP present and future
- The problem: 187 separate directories for user info, e.g.:
- Computer Account
pmurphy (three: Unix, NT, AS400)
- Personnel: RAO #2102 etc.
- Mail aliases:
- Fiscal: Purchasing, Payroll, etc.
- Library info
- (Snail) mailing lists, etc.
- Synchronization, Distributed entry, related entries, are problems.
- Meta-directory can "glue" things together; short-term solution,
migration tool to more unified environment.